Summer brings with it plenty of opportunity to spend time outdoors in the pool, head to the beach, and have backyard barbecues with family and friends. Many of us want to achieve having a gorgeous, glowing tan and smirk happily in the mirror at tan lines we so proudly achieved after time spent in the sun. Aside from that, there are many beauty and hair tips and tricks you can master for the summer months to look your best, without overdoing it. Let’s take a look at some of these within this article.
Sunless tanning is one of the most fantastic options available for achieving a perfect, bronze glow. Gone are the days of old when sunless tanner was stinky, streaky, and ultimately, a horrendous pain in the butt. Now, with new advances in technology, sunless tanner is the number one way to achieve a beautiful glow at home, indoors, while looking like you spent hours in the sun – and it’s completely safe! The scary part is – The American Cancer Society is estimating that 73,870 people will be diagnosed with Melanoma skin cancer from sun exposure – the deadliest form of skin cancer – this year alone, and of those, 9,940 people will die due to this fast spreading, deadly disease. So, what can you do to protect yourself against the sun’s rays? Can anything be done? There are many steps you can take to cut down your risk – while still having that gorgeous tan.
Aside from using a sunless tanner, here are some other tips I can offer you for the arrival of summer on how you can look and feel your best:
- Avoid spending too much time in direct sunlight. Limit yourself to 30 minutes at a time. When you spend time in the sun, your body continues to absorb UV rays for up to 6-8 hours after you’ve left the sunlight. True story!
- Always, always, always protect your face and body from the sun by using a high quality sunscreen product on all exposed areas of the body. Opt for 50+ SPF if possible, and be sure to reapply every 30 minutes if exposed to water, or every 60 minutes if not in the water.
- Wear a hat to protect your face from sun damage and sun spots. A good option for summer is a floppy beach hat – they’re gorgeous and they serve a purpose.
- Always use sunscreen on your hair to avoid damaging your hair color, or ending up with tinted locks that look bronzy or yellow – there are actually sunscreen products that exist for this purpose. Try Clarin’s Sunscreen Care Oil Spray Broad, $35 from Sephora.
- If you spend time in a chlorinated pool, be sure to use a good swimmer’s shampoo and conditioner to get all of the chlorine out of your hair to avoid discoloration, and to remove the smell that can linger around for days.
- Avoid wearing too much makeup – stick to minimal products, such as tinted moisturizer rather than foundation, cream blush rather than powdered blush, tinted lip balm with SPF rather than lipstick, and shimmery, light eyeshadow rather than richly pigmented hues to avoid makeup melt-off.
- Wear your hair in a chignon or updo – such as a ponytail or messy bun – during the summer to avoid having to re-style your hair constantly.
- Be sure to keep freshening wipes on hand in your purse for when you’ve been in the sun, have gotten sweaty, and need to refresh a bit. Try Say Yes to Cucumbers brand.
- Keep oil blotting sheets handy as sun/humidity exposure can lead to oily skin for a quick matte look.
- Drink lots and lots of water throughout the summer months to stay hydrated and keep your skin in check.
- Always remember to cleanse morning and night, as well as moisturize, to keep your skin breakout free all summer long.
- Opt for a beach themed mani and pedi combo at your next salon appointment. This is a fun way to embrace and welcome summer!
- Switch up your perfume to match the summer months. Try the beautifully scented Dolce & Gabanna Light Blue, Daisy Dream by Marc Jacobs, or Escada Turqoise Summer for the perfect summer scent.
- Try a short new cut for the summer months. Maybe cut off a few inches, or take it all the way down to a pixie cut!
- Opt for a summery hair color change up – try caramel brown, blonde hues, or opt for Baliyage for the ultimate in a highlight type experience.
No matter how you plan on spending your summer, if you incorporate some of these helpful tips into your regimen, I’m sure you will have the best summer skin, hair and face possible. I hope these tips helped you, taught you something new, and get you excited for summer to arrive!